Tuesday, March 17, 2009

tac: Gameplay

It's been a while since my last update, but that's the nice thing about working as a hobbyist, right? If I don't feel like working on it, I don't have to!

I settled on the 2-pass graphics solution (which is what everyone's doing, I guess), and I've moved on to gameplay matters. Gameplay is always trickier than I expect, because even though the logic is simple, having a well-organized code architecture takes some iteration. When I worked at 2K, even up to shipping we still had discussions about how objects and interactions should have been organized. With a turn-based game, things are a little simpler, since it works very much like a board game: Only one thing ever happens at a time. Once something happens, everyone updates their own strategy to reflect the new situation. Then, someone else takes a turn and does something, and everyone updates once again. Nice and clean. With a real-time game, there's a temptation to do everything "all at once" for speed reasons, which can result in some strange logical bugs.

Anyway, the game now allows you to select units and teleport them to arbitrary positions. Next order of business: Put in foundations for taking steps and turns, and some very simple path-finding. Then, you should be able to select a unit, tell it to move to a position, and then it'll "animate" over to that position (modulo the horrible pathfinding) instead of teleporting to it.

No comments: